[arin-discuss] use of 128.66.0.0/16 not clear

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Sep 24 03:40:54 EDT 2009

> If we manage to push off the exhaustion date by five or six
> months, what have we accomplished?  Would that effort not
> have been better spent on advancing the cause of IPv6, or
> developing interoperability standards for carrier-grade NAT,
> or whatever your vision for salvation in a post-IPv4-runout world is?

I agree with Rob here. Heroic efforts to extend the IPv4 address
lifetime are misplaced. If there is a desire to expend a heroic
effort on something, it should be directed at removing the barriers
to full-blown IPv6 deployment. Any would-be heroes should sit down
at the phone and start calling minor equipment vendors and software
vendors to find out when they will support IPv6. Any bit of software
used in network operational support or by home users needs to be
IPv6 capable.

Maybe ARIN could organize an IPv6 awareness sprint, and provide a room
full of phones, with coffee and snacks for the volunteers?

--Michael Dillon