[arin-discuss] Proxy support

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:16:52 EDT 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:

>> Because I have grown faith and trust in this person over the months in
>> regards to a certain proposal, I would like to attach to them a +1 (if
>> you please) to however they vote on the proposal.
>>
>> I'm sure this isn't allowed, but I thought I'd ask. Do ARIN politics
>> allow for such a thing?
>>

> Or perhaps rephrased (during the sleepless hours I'm facing due to the
> influx of ARIN/NANOG info all at once ;) ...
>
> Can ARIN legal, under current mandate, _prevent_ a member from acting as
> a proxy vote-holder?

There are two types of "voting".  There is electronic voting for Board
and AC members, where each DMR logs in and votes online.  You can
obviously "get help" with that voting from whomever you wish, and you
have about a week to do so.

But I think you're referring to the "shows of hands" (aka "votes") at
the Public Policy Meeting.  Those are non-binding, informational polls
taken for the benefit of the AC of all the participants in the room and
participating remotely online.  There's no need to be a member to
participate, but on the other hand there's no way for one person's
participation to count for more than anyone else's.

So, I don't think proxy voting really applies in the ARIN context.  All
binding votes are done online, and for policy stuff, they just do a
non-binding show of hands (plus remote participants).

-Scott