[arin-discuss] ipv6 technology supplier phone bank?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 23:38:23 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM, John Brown <john at citylinkfiber.com> wrote:

> I would also add that technology supplier isn't the only place that needs
> work.
>
> Based on a brief survey of websites very few if any returned AAAA records
> for www.DOMAIN-NAME.com
>
> www.cnn.com
> www.mit.edu
> www.harvard.edu
> www.abc.com
> www.microsoft.com
> www.google.com
> www.yahoo.com
>
> the above did NOT return any IPv6 data.  Unless I'm doing something wrong
> with

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.			IN	AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.		433737	IN	CNAME	www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com.	300	IN	AAAA	2001:4860:b002::68

Pehaps, like google's ipv6 tester program, the other folks on your
list above give different answers depending upon who asks?

I agree that having content available is key to some form of good
debugging and success for this endeavor, but... the above sites
bread/butter is made on the current internet protocol version being
quick/accurate/complete for their end users. Giving worse performance
on a 'new'  protocol isn't acceptable and AAAA will not appear
globally for them until ipv4 and ipv6 performance is equal for their
userbases.

-Chris