[arin-discuss] POC Reauthorization

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri May 15 19:44:43 EDT 2009

hostmaster at arin.net wrote:

> In an effort to ensure WHOIS accuracy, ARIN asks you to review your organization's data. This e-mail is being sent to all e-mail addresses associated with the following OrgID:

> OrgID:      EAGLE-28

> Below is a list of POC handles associated with the IP addresses and AS numbers registered to the organization. Please review each of these POCs in ARIN WHOIS to ensure the data is accurate.
>
> https://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=SBE96-ARIN

[..snip..]

The above snipped message I received from ARIN requested that I ensure
all POC data to be correct, and to fix the POC objects that need to be
updated.

Since the message did not ask me to verify my POC information, I know
the message can't be related to 2008-7.

I've discussed this with a few people off-list, but I'm going to ask
this publicly anyway:

Why-oh-why, if ARIN is sending out these messages (from what I can tell)
to test for bounces, is it not including something to inform the valid
POC(s) about the impending IPv4 problem, and what its successor is?

What I mean to say, is that I won't mind a little 'on the side'
consultancy work when the "we don't need IPv6 right now" are scrambling,
but I'm sure that there are small ops out there who may still be in the
dark.

I discussed privately with a few about using 2008-7 as a vehicle to
include a blurb about the v4 runout (and it's urgency), and
understandably, I gathered that ARIN may not want to appear as to be
sending 'unsolicited' email.

However, given that the message I received was 'unsolicited' (and
doesn't look like it requires any action on my part), how bad can it
hurt if there was even an informational _signature_ appended to it?

I'm an op/engineer, so it would be great if someone could explain to me
the logic behind not wanting to use POC verification messages as
vehicles to inform/remind the number resource holders that time is up...

Steve