[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Garry Dolley gdolley at arpnetworks.com
Fri May 8 18:24:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:30:27PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> > So, all this back to the original question:
> > What kind of IPv6 subnet would YOU expect a North American
> > ISP to assign to their residential ADSL customer?
>
> /48 as per standard.

What standard are you referring to?

>From what I'm reading, a longer prefix, such as /56 is acceptable:

"Ideally, residential networks would be given an address range of a
/48 or /56 [RIPE_Nov07] such that multiple /64 subnets could be used
within the residence." [1]

1. RFC 5375 - IPv6 Unicast Address Assignment Considerations,
Section 2.4

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181