[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu May 7 03:52:39 EDT 2009

> Do you really want to have the CPE be nothing but a switch?
> Surely, it would be simple, and it would allow customers to
> operate with no
> more equipment than they already own.   However, it would come at a
> huge expense to the customer's functionality.   The methodology of
> routing through a /128 would be quite similar to how IPv4 is
> being deployed, except that it would now be visible on the
> residential customer's router as it is already on commercial
> IPv4 deployments.

You are trying to reinvent DOCSIS and the broadband forum working
groups. There is no need since other folks are already working
on standard specs for CPE on both cable and DSL connections.
If you think they are missing something, contact one of the
Broadband Forum working groups
<http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/technicalworkinggroups.php>
and let them know what you think is needed.

> If you are afraid of changing the methodology, I don't see
> why you would want to take the ability of a customer to have
> a router, something that customers are already familiar with
> owning and installing, even at a residential level, and
> forcing them to have nothing more complicated than a switch?

I don't know who you are addressing here, but I certainly
did not say that.

>  Right now, though, this is nothing more than a
> dream (but then again, so are residential IPv6 deployments)

There are residential IPv6 deployments in some countries.
I know for a fact that some large DSL providers have closed trial
deployments under way right now in Europe.

--Michael Dillon