[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Matthew Wilder Matthew.Wilder at telus.com
Wed May 6 13:28:47 EDT 2009

This is where it gets interesting.  I doubt the worst case is a /23.  Remember, IPv6 has so many bits for  the very purpose of clean summarization and easy subnetting.

Comcast might want to regionalize their subnetting.  And then within each region, they might want to have a nice big block for each edge router so they don't have to constantly add address resources to the router.  All of a sudden, instead of assuming a 90% utilization of that block (which is heinously unreasonable and inconsistent with IPv6 intentions) you are looking at maybe 20 - 30% utilization at the /48 assignments.  Now they need probably a /21 for those customers.

This gets this sort of ISP into the hairy edge of what the HD ratio allows in the best case.  Assuming a /48 assignment to an end user counts as 100% utilization of the entire /48 subnet, then they will probably squeak through on the Threshold (https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six7).

And this discussion here is exactly why I originally through out the question.  Why would an ISP assign a /48 so that a consumer can have two large layers of subnetting (16 bits of subnet address to be exact) at the expense of their own routing and summarization?

MW