[arin-discuss] ARIN-discuss Digest, Vol 26, Issue 6

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jul 22 13:53:04 EDT 2009

      On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Carl Peterson wrote:
    > I was just going to post the same thing but it is only fair that we
    > develop a consensus as to when it is ok to blacklist a block for unfair
    > use of ip space.  Once we have a quorum of sorts, like minded admins and
    > companies should act as a group.
    > As a basic rule I would start by saying that if a company or group is
    > holding a large block of ipv4 which they know they will never use, the
    > part that will never be used should be returned.  The ip space that they
    > are holding only has value because the rest of us route to it.

How do you propose to know the difference between space which is unused,
and space which is in use on networks which are not directly routed to the
portions of the Internet that you can see?

Presuming you cannot see the use that people are putting space to, how
would your black-holing them penalize them?

Once you and your compatriots black-hole them, presuming they comply with
your desires and return the space, and it gets doled out to someone else,
how do you propose to get the space un-black-holed, so you don't just
penalize the subsequent recipient?

I see a heck of a lot more complaints from people who've recently received
new space that they can't get people to stop black-holing, than I see
complaints from people unable to get space.

                                -Bill