[arin-discuss] ARIN spammed us with "talk to the hand" ?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Feb 27 09:33:59 EST 2009

Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> writes:

> I was not involved in any discussions around that notice, but when I got
> it, I interpreted it as saying, "We're aware of a problem, and believe
> it may affect a lot of you.  We can't fix it for you, but here's what
> you need to know to get it fixed if you're affected."

I think the problem people are having with this email is that
exhortations to "contact and work with third-party information
software vendors and/or the content proviers directly" with no further
information is not particularly helpful.

A more reasonable way to handle this would be for the said software
vendors and content providers (who are no doubt interested in
providing a quality user experience) to collaborate, perhaps with ARIN
serving as a facilitator, to provide a method for those with address
space to check the veracity of the geodata mappings.

"We know about the problem, and you'll need to talk to other folks to
get the problem fixed" without naming names might be interpreted to be
sending the message that ARIN doesn't care.

-r