[arin-discuss] pre-ARIN IP allocation legal rights

Tuc at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sun Oct 12 23:15:29 EDT 2008

> But the net effect of what I am saying is that I just don't see
> anything standing out here giving any implicit rights.  So I'd
> appreciate anyone who can document these rights explicitly for
> everyone to see.

Hi,

	(Wondering why I'm the only one replying to these... Is
it a troll and I missed it? ;)

	Again, not sure if this helps/hurts my case... but....

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

	4.1.7. RFC 2050
ARIN takes guidance from allocation and assignment policies and procedures set forth in RFC 2050. These guidelines were developed to meet the needs of the larger Internet community in conserving scarce IPv4 address space and allowing continued use of existing Internet routing technologies.

	(It could be said that "4.2.1.2. Annual Renewal" mentions "An annual fee for registered space is due by the anniversary date of the ISP's first allocation from ARIN.".... Since it was never allocated by ARIN, then there isn't
an anniversary date. ;) )

	and then at :

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2050.html (Co-authored by 2 InterNIC people
in Nov 1996)

	5.  In-ADDR.ARPA Domain Maintenance

   The regional registries will be responsible for maintaining IN-
   ADDR.ARPA records only on the parent blocks of IP addresses issued
   directly to the ISPs or those CIDR blocks of less than /16.  Local
   IRs/ISPs with a prefix length of /16 or shorter will be responsible
   for maintaining all IN-ADDR.ARPA resource records for its customers.

   IN-ADDR.ARPA resource records for networks not associated with a
   specific provider will continue to be maintained by the regional
   registry.

	(I realize this is a small piece of it, but I just happened to
notice this trying to find boring reading to put me to sleep tonite)

	So if ARIN follows 2050, and 2050 says In-addr.arpa needs to be
maintained by regionals, and ARIN is a regional.............

	Anyway, not looking to lead the cause on this end for it. (Wheres
Dean when ya need him? ;) )  Just more startled by it being brought up.

		Tuc/TBOH