[arin-discuss] IPv6 Provider Woes

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Nov 25 13:29:25 EST 2008

> > I run several datacenters under a single ASN but with discreet IPv4
> > space.
>
> If these are discreet data centers, in other words, you don't have your
> own network infrastructure connecting them, then doesn't that mean that
> each data center is a discreet network which deserves to receive its own
> ASN and /32?
>
> I'm curious how ARIN views this.

i think that ARIN ("who is ARIN? you are!") ought to be and will be
concerned about re-creating what we call "the swamp" through this kind of
allocation, and that if IPv6 effectively makes /32 the smallest useful
allocation then all we've done is avoid choking to death due to address
space shortage in order that we can choke to death just as certainly on
global routing table churn and size.

if the internet community is going to abandon CIDR and go back to
non-hierarchical routing, it should be done explicitly -- eyes wide open,
and not incrementally -- in denial -- through the back door.