[arin-discuss] IPv6 Provider Woes

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Mon Nov 24 18:42:48 EST 2008

Hello Everyone:

I just wanted to point out that there is an interesting discussion going on
over on the NANOG mailing list.  Apparently, Verizon is refusing to route
anything more specific than a /32.  This has been confirmed by several
different Verizon clients, but there has not been an official response on
the list, so YMMV.

This is not to bash Verizon (specifically) but to point out that there is a
significant disconnect between the marketplace and the RIR's already
developing.  I'm doubly curious because there are several Verizon employees
amongst the folks we voted to represent us at ARIN, et. Al.  Does this mean
that ARIN (i.e. We) are creating policies that will never gain traction in
the market or is Verizon off their nut?

To Verizon's credit, at least they are routing IPv6 actively, unlike so many
other "Tier 1" providers.

Regards,

Mike