[arin-discuss] Anyone play with IPv6 on the RV4000?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 29 16:27:38 EDT 2008

I picked up a little consumer ethernet-to-ethernet router the
other day for about $120 USD and surprised that is has IPv6
capability in it.  It's a Linksys model RVS4000.  It appears
to act as an IPv4<->IPv6 gateway, here is what it says:

Select the way for IPv6-only hosts to connect to or through IPv4 Internet.

NAPT-PT

Enable this option to allow your IPv6-only host on the LAN side to connect
to IPv4-only hosts on the WAN side through address-translation and
protocol-translation (per RFC2766).

You can assign IPv6 to both the WAN and LAN interface.

This is the first time I've seen IPv6 in the low end
consumer "home" router gear.

Does the existence of this at that price point make
the "we gotta extend the life of IPv4" argument a moot
issue?

Or does the price point of IPv6 routers have to hit the
$19.95-on-sale-at-Walmart region to invalidate that
argument?

Just curious...

Ted