[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Robert E. Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Wed May 21 12:43:20 EDT 2008

Hi Jerry,

Your organization is an end user not an ISP.  It would get an
assignment, not an allocation, and is under no obligation to file
SWIPs, however, when you go back to ARIN for more space, you will have
to account for the space you already have (which ARIN last I checked
is happy to take in the form of a spreadsheet, an ASCII table, or
whatever else you might reasonably bring to the table).  It is
important to make this distinction since end users can plausibly be
treated as a monolithic entity by outsiders for abuse or other contact
purposes (even if this turns out to be suboptimal in practice),
whereas it is completely unrealistic to expect this to hold in the
case of an organization that is acting as a common carrier.

If you believe that current ARIN policy could be improved, why not
submit a policy proposal?  Anyone can participate in this process -
you need not be an ARIN member or DMR to submit your thoughts on how
to make ARIN work better.  http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html

                            ---Rob (on the ARIN AC, speaking for myself only)