[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Edward B. DREGER eddy+arin+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed May 21 08:24:05 EDT 2008

MB> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:43:26 -0500
MB> From: Mike Berger

MB> Seems to me that maybe people who aren't ready, willing, and able to
MB> respond to network issues surrounding the addresses they're using
MB> shouldn't be given any IP addresses in the first place.

Are you referring to the top or the bottom of the subnet hierarchy?
i.e., that someone somewhere must be responsible, or each subnet holder
must be directly responsible?

If you're saying something akin to "all domain name holders must have
in-house 24/7 DNS-knowledgeable staff", I'd have to disagree.  Look at
how people get confused with domain-related issues.[1]

If you're stating something along the lines of "all subnets should have
usable IP-related contacts", we're getting somewhere... and I see no
reason why a subnet user should be prohibited from having an agent act
on their behalf.

Indeed, one could argue that publishing clueless domain POCs invites
abusers to pursue their quarry.  Do we really expect any different with
IP space?

[1] When I say "issues", I mean "issues".  I am not [mis]using it in its
_en vogue_ form as a feel-good way to say "problems".

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.