[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed May 21 05:11:46 EDT 2008

> Seems to me that maybe people who aren't ready, willing, and
> able to respond to network issues surrounding the addresses
> they're using shouldn't be given any IP addresses in the first place.

That's right, encourage the FCC to swoop down and take over the
whole ball game. This is not a private club of Internet insiders,
it is a public utility that serves everyone, regardless of whether
they even own a computer or have an Internet connection at home.

I agree that there should be someone READY, WILLING and ABLE to
RESPOND to network issues for every IP address issued, and that the
contact info for these people should be published in a public
directory like whois, however, I don't believe that we should
force this on everyone who gets an IP address. There is always
an upstream provider who is being paid for the Internet service
and in most cases, it is that upstream whose contact info should
be published. Only end customers who agree to take on the RESPONSE
role should be added to the whois directory.

Let's face it, your proposal is like banning Macdonalds and Burger
King by forcing everyone who wants to eat a hamburger, to cook it
themselves. Cute idea, but it will never happen.

--Michael Dillon