[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue May 20 16:50:24 EDT 2008

Anyone who is obtaining IPv4 for the purpose of speculating is
basically a criminal and I am sure lying is not much of an obstacle.
Same goes for those obtaining IPv4 for spamming.  So I am not sure
that designing SWIP policy to try and counteract criminals is going
to help much there.  HOWEVER, I -DO NOT THINK- that the fact that
criminals are liars should relieve ARIN of the responsibility of making
SOME effort to verify the legitimacy of the data submitted for
allocation requests.  That verification can be done with the current
rules in place, and your story to me really seemed to indicate that
such verification isn't being done, and that concerns me.

Ted