[arin-discuss] Dean -vs- ARIN... again (Re: The joy of SWIPping)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue May 20 16:26:58 EDT 2008

>  Michael claims that he has gotten away with less.

Less? The whois directory only contains down to the /29 level
but I supplied them down to the /32 level. Yes we do have customers
with a /32 assignment for the NAT pool on their CPE router.

> If actual practice is less stringent than the policy, we
> should re-write the policy so that people like me, who just
> want to follow the rules and get the IP space as quickly and
> painlessly as possible, can just read the simple English in
> the policy to see what is really required.  I don't want to
> have my lawyer send their lawyer a letter.  I just want a
> fair, clear policy that everyone has to follow.  I personally
> think sending a spreadsheet with the information to ARIN
> under NDA should be sufficient.

The amateur lawyers who dominate ARIN meetings and the PPML
list, disagree with you. Some of them are net vigilantes in
their spare time and need that whois data to ply their trade.

--Michael Dillon