[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Mon May 19 13:21:25 EDT 2008

I realize it's a week later.  I've been busy.

. . .
> Both of these examples really happened.  We lost both
> customers and the police had to get involved.
>
> One other question for everyone out there that's sort of
> related, How do you reconcile posting customer information in
> a public database with your privacy policy?

In 2004 policy proposal 2003-3 became:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four237
Number Resource Policy Manual section
"4.2.3.7.6 Residential Customer Privacy"
To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an organization
with downstream residential customers may substitute that organization's
name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ Network', and
the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'. Each private
downstream residential reassignment must have accurate upstream Abuse
and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS record for that block.

Similar policies exist for IPv6 and rWHOIS (section 3.2).

I was going to make a joke about being so responsive we alter
time to meet your needs, but I couldn't find a way to make sure
it didn't sound sarcastic (which it wasn't).  Anyway, does this
help?

Lee