[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue May 13 11:36:51 EDT 2008

> > while i'm talking mostly about e-mail addresses here, the arguments extend
> > to phone numbers and postal addresses.  those of us who use small
> > variations in our postal contact information can tell who bought or
> > scraped our address and from where.  whois trust just does not scale.
>
> I understand your point, but the double edge sword here is, that the lack of
> the valid information is just as detrimental since many of us use it to
> track down just such issues as you have described.  It makes it easier for
> those of us that have actual human beings hunting down either spam and or
> network related issues.

yes it does.  which is why i'm proposing a solution.

> We had our network hyjacked by a larger telecommunications company a few
> years back. Without that information, we never would have been able to get
> an actual human being to fix the routing screw up.

i imagine that the RIR, or RIR system, who sits between you and that company,
could have passed your request in real time to the right person, without also
publishing that right person's contact details in a place where spammers,
either well intentioned ones like spamcop, or the evil kind, can see it.