[arin-discuss] Anyone play with IPv6 on the RV4000?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Jun 3 11:52:09 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 02:21:04PM -0700, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >
> >		If there is a marketing push for IPv6, we, as a community
> >		will have
> >	failed.  One might as well push CLNP, or NSAP, or DECnetPhaseV. The
> >	"market"
> >	for transport protocols in the commodity sector is almost nil.
> >
> >		What sells is access and content. The delivery vehicle is
> >		moot as far
> >	as the commodity sector is concerned. From and -engineering-
> >	standpoint, if you
> >	can persuade the marketing folks that they can continue to sell
> >	access and content
> >	(services) now and into the future - at a lower cost tot he company,
> >	then you
> >	are likely to not lose your job. :)
>
> If you're talking about a marketing push from ISPs, etc., then you're right.
>
> But in the original context of equipment vendors, I think it is entirely
> appropriate for vendors to tout their equipment's features, whether it's
> IPv6, OSPF, BGP, or 802.11n.  If they don't even *list* IPv6 as a
> feature, that says something not-so-good...
>

> -Scott

	Scott, note carefully the phrase "commodity sector" ... Unless
	the feature does not demonstrably relate to an immediate value
	to the consumer (802.11n is -faster- than 802.11b) then its just
	marketing fluff... to the commodity sector.

	Clearly the engineering folks are going to want to see the type of
	features in equipment that will help them continue to do their
	jobs.   But when you see "Vista - with IPv6" - are you going to buy it
	only to find out that you have to pay somebody to help you turn it off
	since the IPv6 seamless transport does not exist?  At that point, my
	great aunt will avoid anything labled "IPv6" into the future.  Its broken
	and costs more money.

	When/IF the engineering community can nail down a mostly seamless
	transition btwn adress families or btwn the same address family, then
	IPv6 rollout will have the chance to deploy.  (like on your DOCSYS 3.0
	modems).   Its not going to be a selling point for the normal consumer.
	Geeks? Like you and I, perhaps.

	IPv6, this is not the marketing fluff you are looking for.

--bill