[arin-discuss] Status of Investigations

Jay Hennigan iis-arin at impulse.net
Tue Jan 1 20:38:56 EST 2008

Dean Anderson wrote:

>>From NANOG's charter:
>
>   "The purpose of NANOG is to provide forums in the North American
>   region for education and the sharing of knowledge for the Internet operations
>   community.
>
>   NANOG is a small venue in which technical matters pertaining to network
>   operations and network technology deployment in Internet providers may
>   be discussed among experts. "
>
> In fact, examining the attendence records of NANOG I found that:

[irrelevant statistics snipped]

> What do all these people have to do with network operations or
> subjects of NANOG?  Only one is a network administrator.
>
> 22 ARIN employees (almost half the company!) have been attending NANOG.
> Even the HR Executive Assistant has attended NANOG?  This is improper
> expenditure of ARIN funds.

Let's also look at ARIN's defined mission:

    "Provides services related to the technical coordination and
    management of Internet number resources in its respective
    service region."

I, for one, would think that the technical coordination and management
of Internet number resources goes hand-in-hand with technical matters
pertaining to network operations and network technology deployment as
described in the NANOG charter.  Without network operations and network
technology development, there is no need for numbering resources.
Without orderly coordination of numbering resources, network operations
and network technology development are impossible.

The geographic regions defined by ARIN and NANOG are similar.

As an ARIN member, I feel that ARIN staff should indeed be very involved
with NANOG.  For them not to be would be dereliction of their duty.

Similarly, VON seems relevant considering the present and future impact
of VoIP on the numberspace as well as the multi-homing needs for
reliability of voice services.  ARIN is forward-thinking by its outreach
to groups developing technologies that will impact numbering resources.
  In the days of Gopher and Archie, should ARIN have been thinking,
"Outreach to the people doing that HTTP stuff is a waste of our time,
it's just an application that generates a fancy table of contents"?

Rather than "Status of Investigations" perhaps the subject should be
changed to "Rants about ARIN's association with entities that Dean
Anderson doesn't like."  I really don't see any investigations here.
What I see are some statistics about meeting attendance, one person's
opinion regarding said attendance, links to readily-available but
ancient legal pleadings, and a smear campaign.

So far, on the list of entities Dean Anderson doesn't like:
* Paul Vixie (and/or MAPS)
* NANOG
* VON

Any others?