[arin-discuss] voting

Jay Hennigan iis-arin at impulse.net
Thu Feb 7 14:53:03 EST 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> The issue here is this.  The Board is made up of individuals.  We
> all know that it's impossible for anyone to be truly objective on
> an issue they care about (and I would assume the members of the Board
> would care about at least some of the issues before the ARIN board,
> else why would they even seek election?)
>
> The concern is that unless these biases are known in advance, the
> Board is subject to accusations that they are influencing policy
> "behind the scenes"

[snippage]

> I personally would feel more comfortable knowing what the Board's
> personal biases are.  If the members were to say "I believe what
> your doing is wrong but your the boss and I'll do my best to
> implement it" then that gives me the power to decide if the
> particular person really is acting as I feel they should, of if
> they are acting along their own biases.  I feel a lot more comfortable
> with that sort of person than with one who does their best to hide
> their personal views on things and just be a "yes-man" to my
> face.

Agreed, but with Google and other archives the constituency can do its
own due diligence on such matters.  This is particularly true with
regard to candidates who have a long history of involvement in Internet
development.  To expand on your example, accusing Paul Vixie of being a
closet spam-supporter (or a Mafia boss) is on a par with accusing the
President of the United States of being a commie-loving,
evolution-loving, closet liberal.  This tends to identify the accuser as
a raving loon.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net