[arin-discuss] voting

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Feb 5 16:44:11 EST 2008

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> Paul I'll respond to this for myself.
> For example, you were just elected.  What is YOUR position on IPv6?  I
> don't really know.

the board's statement on ipv6 was made while i was a trustee here, and even if
i hadn't joined the majority for that decision, i don't know if i'd feel right
speaking against the statement.  <http://www.arin.net/v6/v6-resolution.html>.

> Do you see why I don't feel competent to vote for or against you?

would this be like promising two chickens in every pot, or would this be like
a litmus test for judicial appointments?  if either, then i'd be against it.

for myself, what i need to know about a candidate is whether they have insight
and highly principled flexibility and industry experience and fiduciary
experience and maybe even some creativity and wisdom and certainly an ability
to work with difficult people or under difficult conditions.  i can't think of
a way to learn these things from somebody's online bio or some litmus tests.

that having been said, i would love it if we had debates rather than just
candidate statements.  maybe a webinar with call-in by voice and jabber.  but
would that increase participation among potential voters?  if not, what would?