[arin-discuss] No quorum in last election

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Feb 4 17:06:32 EST 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Mike Lieberman wrote:

> John,
> 	Thanks for that input. Can you explain why the chair of the board
> stated otherwise in an email a few days ago?

John said he was going to have an ARIN lawyer review this, but it seems
no lawyer has been identified.

John: Please identify the lawyer making these claims.

I think this can be cleared up by a conference call with my attorney and
your attorney.

John is arguing two different things:

1) That no quorum is required.

2) That the entire membership participates in every election. That is,
100% of the members, even those recently deceased members, are present
for the purpose of quorum.

It might seem that these positions are contradictory. I'm treating them
as separate, independent assertions.

BTW, the analogy of the dead participating is a strong analogy. The law
of the US (and English Law before) is rich with cases of election fraud,
and chief among the frauds are schemes for participation by deceased.
[someone said they could find no law on the subject. There is quite a
lot of law on the subject.] So far, no court over (several hundred
years) has ever held that a dead person can participate in an election.
So when your position includes participation by a dead person, you've
probably found a new type of election fraud, rather than a new way to
conduct business.

		--Dean

617 344 9000