[arin-discuss] No quorum in last election

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Feb 2 13:26:21 EST 2008

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Timothy Valis wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008 10:02 PM, Dean Anderson <dean at av8.com> wrote:
>
> > As to the matter of "participation", Mr. Curran is correct that the key
> > issue is the level of participation in an electronic or mail-in vote.
> > However, there is no participation where email is merely sent, but there
> > no response. That communication is one-way. Two-way communication is
> > required for "participation". Perhaps one can indeed respond "I don't
> > want to vote" or "none". But if there is no response, then there is no
> > participation.
>
> So you are saying one must clearly state their abstention, not just
> abstain from voting?

Abstention is an affirmative response of non-vote by someone who is
otherwise participating.

In order to be counted as participating but not voting, one needs to
signal participation somehow.  John is saying that no response indicates
participation.  No response is non-participation.

		--Dean

617 344 9000