[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ron Cleven Ron at Cleven.com
Thu Oct 11 08:06:15 EDT 2007

>>In any case, I give up.  There appear to be some people in
>>this discussion that are shilling for legacy interests and
>>large entrenched ISP's.  I suspect they have all the cards
>>and all the power (and almost all the IP's).  As it it
>>currently operating, ARIN is complicit in this atrocious
>>anti-competitive behavior.
>

> I'm not sure who you think is shilling for legacy interests and large
> entrenched ISP's.
>
> My viewpoint is that as an IPv4 legacy address holder, ARIN has never
> asked me to pay fees and so I haven't paid any fees for my IPv4
> addresses.  When ARIN comes up with a reasonable RSA and reasonable fees
> for IPv4 legacy address holders, I don't expect to have an issue with
> signing and paying. For the record, I only have a /24, am not an ISP,
> and don't represent any ISP. I suspect that my viewpoint is similar to
> that of some number of other small IPv4 legacy address holders, but
> don't know that for sure.

I stand corrected.  I would not expect legacy holders with a small
number of ip's to care much either way.  More precisely, I should have
said "large legacy interests and large entrenched ISP's".  I am curious
though to hear you elaborate more about two points:

1) What would you consider a "reasonable" RSA?
2) You also referred to "reasonable" fees.  Would you have any problem
with having those fees scaled according to the number of IP's?  Are you
suggesting / expecting a different fee schedule for legacy-holders?

While I was happy when I first started reading some of the postings on
this list to see several people indicate support for per-IP pricing to
instill some market discipline on the IPV4 space, I was surprised to see
some of the militant opposition to it.

As a small ISP, I would never pay for more IP's than I needed to support
my customer base.  If you have been living with relatively static IP
space for many years, I don't think you understand the capricious nature
of the current ARIN administration of IPV4 space.  Rather than letting
market forces influence the number of IP's allocated, they force you
through a series of detailed and antiquated templates, even requiring
you in some instances to reveal sensitive customer lists.

If, instead, ARIN required you to pay some larger up-front license fee
for each allocation (scaled by size), then perhaps a smaller annual
maintenance fee per IP, those administration problems would be radically
diminished.  If licensee's could retire the space for the same serious
fee they paid up-front, market forces would greatly reduce the
administrative oversight needed.

A list of, say, the top 1000 holders (followed by a line for "All
Others") of IPV4 allocations within ARIN's purview (sorted by number of
IP's allocated) of roughly the following format, would bring clarity to
this discussion.  I don't really care whether there is an asterisk added
indicating a legacy holder, because I don't think that is relevant to
the discussion.  Perhaps such a table already exists or is easily
derivable from some public information.

Number of IP's     Entity Name      Entity Type (ISP, University, etc.)
==============     ===========      ===========

                    <All Others>
==============     ===========
<Total IP's>       <Total Entities>

This coupled with another table describing number of IP's in use at the
end of recent years and the number ARIN has remaining to allocate would
allow some useful cogitation about the matter.

Year    Number of IP's Allocated    Number of IP's Remaining
====    ========================    ========================
2007    (projected)
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000

The reason I am looking for authoritative information in these areas is
that I have seen several serious discussions of these issues with wildly
differing statistical assumptions.  I don't know who to believe.