[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sun Nov 11 15:51:16 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Dean Anderson wrote:

> That benefits _ONLY_ NANOG members. That is an improper transfer of ARIN
> funds when it increases (rather than decreases) ARIN expenses. ARIN
> management can't be concerned about NANOG funding. If it helps ARIN
> reduce costs, there is an argument. If it costs ARIN more, there isn't.
>
> If it costs a few NANOG members more, that's irrelevant to ARIN.

I perhaps didn't explain why off-books "savings" are irrelevant.
Anyone can imagine any amount of money that could be "saved"  off-books
by other people. If that were allowed, we'd be able to have meetings
anywhere in the world on the premise that doing so would save some few a
lot of money (enough to offset the cost of the expensive and otherwise
unjustified meeting location).  Having meetings in the Swiss Alps could
save a lot of us the plane ticket to go on vacation there.  Our saved
vacation expenses aren't relevant to ARIN.  We try to do that a often
enough by picking US vacation spots for meetings. What matters is what's
on ARIN's books. Did that decrease or increase by this joint meeting
scheme?  If it decreased, then they're geniuses. If it increased, that's
bad; At the least, its poor management; At the worst, depending on the
amounts, the personal benefits obtained, and other factors I won't
detail, there could be corruption charges.  I'd say we are in the
middle, right now.  Of course, when ignored, things get worse.

The Board is supposed to ensure good management and prevent bad
management.  When they ignore problems, they create serious problems for
themselves, especially when they are among the beneficiaries of ignoring
the problems.

		--Dean

617 344 9000