[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Nov 9 18:00:38 EST 2007

It is in ARIN's interest to help keep their own meeting costs
affordable for all attenders.  There are likely MANY IT departments
out there who would send someone to BOTH the ARIN and the NANOG
meetings regardless of where and when they took place.  Thus, if ARIN
and NANOG can share meeting space, hotel
accomodations, etc. EVEN IF it results in a slightly HIGHER fee that
ARIN pays, then it will GREATLY REDUCE the fees that all of the members
out there pay to attend both meetings - because they will only have
to pay for 1 plane trip, 1 hotel room, etc. not two.

You are treading on very squishy ground here.  Granted, for ARIN to pay
an EXCESSIVE amount of money to share meeting space with NANOG is
as you say, probably not in ARIN's interest.

Ideally, NANOG would pay X amount for meeting space and ARIN would
pay Y amount, and if they had joint meetings that would result in
a larger discount Z than they would normally get, then NANOG would
pay X - Z% and ARIN would pay Y - Z%.  BUT, even if aligning the
meetings would result in ARIN paying X and NANOG paying Y, then
your still saving on travel and accomodations costs for the attenders.

But, who am I kidding.  Clearly you just don't want to have any
benefits whatsoever go to NANOG even if doing this would be cutting
off ARIN's nose to spite it's face - so let's just agree here that
your not going to see reason on this issue no matter what.

Ted