[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Nov 7 16:07:40 EST 2007

> I've also gone through the thread again and can't find anybody expanding
> the scope to all tradeshow attendance until you just did.  However, Dean
> certainly didn't limit his point to VON.

There are apparently multiple VON shows that ARIN has attended recently.
VON has several shows a year. I'd say that shows that cater to
users/applications above protocol level 3 are inappropriate for ARIN to
place a staffed booth. I think invited talks are probably OK, so long as
the expenses are kept to a minimum.

> Might I suggest, and y'all are free to ignore me just a completely as
> you wish :-), that coming up with metrics, such as those Ted has
> suggested, to measure the effectiveness of expenditures as ARIN
> attempts to fulfill its organizational mandates, rather than the
> personal concern over one conference leading, through a process that I
> have trouble following, to a $400,000 strawman, would be a more
> productive way to spend the time.  Probably, however, in all honesty,
> less amusing.

$400,000 is the travel budget increase in activity in single year. This
is an amazing 46% increase. Such budget increases are unusual.  I don't
think there are all that many tradeshows that cater to the level 1-3
arena, and they haven't just begun.  ARIN was spending around $800k
previously on travel, and I'm not quite sure what that was for.

It would be helpful in ARIN would report what, precisely, it has spent
the $1.2 million travel budget doing.  How much was spent on each
tradeshow would be a good start.

		--Dean

617 344 9000