[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Tue Nov 6 16:05:22 EST 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Dean is arguing about ARIN's attendance at a specific show - VON.  Too
> many responders on this list seem to be responding to an assertion that
> ALL tradeshow attendance by ARIN is bad.  This was not the assertion that
> Dean made.

possibly overlooking the mail where

Dean Anderson wrote:

> I guess I wasn't clear. One conference would be a one-time mistake.
> The one conference I cited was the one where I had some personal
> experience to relate. But I understand they've been at VON several
> times.  There are apparently other trips under the banner of
> 'educational outreach'. These add up to a $1.2 million dollar travel
> item; approximately $400,000 more the prior year's travel expenses. If
> they are all as educational as this VON conference, then none of them
> are legitimate. The Nanog transfer was also asserted to be "educational
> outreach".  These are not genuine efforts at education, but junkets. In
> the case of Nanog, assistance to cronies of Board Members.
I've also gone through the thread again and can't find anybody expanding
the scope to all tradeshow attendance until you just did.  However, Dean
certainly didn't limit his point to VON.

Might I suggest, and y'all are free to ignore me just a completely as
you wish :-), that coming up with metrics, such as those Ted has
suggested, to measure the effectiveness of expenditures as ARIN attempts
to fulfill its organizational mandates, rather than the personal concern
over one conference leading, through a process that I have trouble
following, to a $400,000 strawman, would be a more productive way to
spend the time.  Probably, however, in all honesty, less amusing.

--Jon Radel