[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Nov 6 15:24:01 EST 2007

I have to disagree with this.

Attendance at a tradeshow to further the technical understanding of the
Internet is fine.  However, if no "furthering of the technical
understanding"
is taking place, then attendance at such a show is a waste of time and
money.

The effacy of ARIN's attendance at any of these trade shows - like VON - is
metric that is EASILY measured.  I already suggested some of the ways to do
it
- such as taking down names, or taking business cards, etc. AT THE SHOW.

If the metrics for attendance at a particular show do NOT bear out the
requirement of the charter that education of the Internet community is
taking place, then ARIN should not continue attending the show in the
future.
There are plenty of other shows out there to attend.

Dean is arguing about ARIN's attendance at a specific show - VON.  Too
many responders on this list seem to be responding to an assertion that
ALL tradeshow attendance by ARIN is bad.  This was not the assertion that
Dean made.

As I already mentioned, management review at ARIN should have occurred
after attendance at VON, to determine if the show was money well spent.
If such review has NOT occurred then I would encourage ARIN's board members
to request that ARIN's managers do it.  If such review DID occur then
perhaps we could have the conclusion of the management team posted here
as to whether the VON show attendance was worthwhile or not.

Ted