[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Fri Nov 2 13:39:20 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, John Curran wrote:

>    There are several dozen ISP's and hosted service providers at VON

Wasn't quite that many. There were a few, though. Their sales and
marketing departments were well represented.  I spoke with a number of
them.  But the employees who would deal with ARIN were not there. And I
didn't expect that they would be.

>    The ARIN community asked us at multiple meetings to engage
>    in more outreach regarding IPv6, and we are doing so.  This
>    includes having ARIN at various ISP, web hosting, and Internet
>    events.

VON may be an 'internet event', but it is targeted at a different
community. That community is not one that has anything to do with
choosing IPv6.

> From your email, I believe that you feel this is not a worthwhile use
> of ARIN resources,

A VON booth is (obviously) not effective at reaching the target
operation and engineering staff that have anything to do with
implmenting IPv6 in networks or obtaining IPv6 allocations.

VOIP products use protocols (TCP and UDP) that work over either IPv4 or
IPv6, so there is nothing that VOIP developers really need to do with
respect to ARIN.  The developers will follow VOIP protocol standards
requested by customers and defined by the standards organizations; the
IETF, ITU, etc.  ARIN is not a large VOIP customer, nor a standards
organization.  VOIP products that are implemented on platforms that
support IPv6 and are deployed on networks that support IPv6, just work.
But if the platforms or the networks don't support IPv6, then tough
luck, it won't work. There is nothing for the VOIP company to do. It has
no input into the choice of IPv6.

There may indeed be tradeshows where ARIN can be effective. VON is
certainly not one of them.  ARIN Management should make better choices.

		--Dean