[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Fri Nov 2 11:38:35 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> Dean Anderson <dean at av8.net> writes:
>
> > This was just a junket; part of that $400,000 or so 46% increase in the
> > travel budget that I cited a couple weeks ago. Done under the euphemism
> > of "outreach".  These trade shows are indeed a lot of fun. I wish I had
> > an extra $400,000 to spend attending trade shows, staying in nice
> > hotels, flying around. Parties are always great when you have no sales
> > quotas to meet.
>
> Dean, I try to avoid responding to your mail since I don't like
> feeding trolls...  but if you think that *working* a trade show (as
> opposed to *attending* a trade show) is anything resembling "fun",
> well, that's just the voice of inexperience speaking.

I did booth duty for the OSF back in 1990.  I also did seminars on
Motif. I have some experience with booth duty.

Booth duty not fun because you have to smile for 8 hours and try to sell
stuff.

But the parties are definitely fun.

Of course, the ARIN guys don't have to sell anything, so that UN-fun
element is totally gone from their experience.

> If ARIN were looking for junkets, I'd be disappointed if they couldn't
> find a better destination than Boston in late October.

Boston is definitely a fun place in late October. Especially when the
Red Sox are winning.  This is a party town. That's probably why VON
comes here in the fall.

> > But otherwise, I enjoyed the chance to talk to Einar and Jon,
> > especially after I felt I couldn't attend Albuquerque because of the
> > unrestrained presence of persons from Nanog who have made physical
> > threats of violence against me.
>
> I don't seem to suffer these difficulties.  Maybe it's you.

You participate in Nanog, and YOU make offensive statements and engage
in name calling. Maybe its you who encourages the violence.  Certainly,
your behavior doesn't encourage education.

		--Dean

617 344 9000