[arin-discuss] Spammer/Abuser screening policy

Samuel Hill Sam.Hill at Corp.WestPA.net
Tue Apr 25 19:11:58 EDT 2006

>While I, having suffered the consequences of major ISPs'
>auto-blacklisting me for the "crime" of forwarding my customers' e-mail
>to them without adequate spam filtering, can *certainly* feel for the
>pain and frustration you endured, you've got to admit, their policy is
>working....
>
>After much pain, you've learned that you must actively screen your
>potential customers.  I completely agree with the advice you shared --
>check against these blacklists, and don't take on the customer if
>they're on one of them.  It's too painful.

What suggestions do you have for such screening?
You can check against black list but I do not think that is an effective
way to screen customers.
You would be assuming that there is some sort of information that would
match, but in many cases you will have company details.
Those company details generally do not include past IP addresses, past
domains used, or any other information that could be used to compare.

I think the discussion still has failed to produce an answer.
There is certainly the need for screening.
The screening process needs to be streamlined, unless you are a very
small ISP background research on potential customers would not be cost
effective (as it looks now).
My only suggestion, be it flawed, is a centralized entity or source to
check corporate background information in regards to internet usage.

I do not think the anti-spam community is effective, it is more of a
band aid and nuisance.
A completely new way of thinking needs to happen for the anti-spam
community to be effective.
There has been progress but currently we are attacking spam by blocking
outside traffic, this discussion is more towards preventing inside
problems.

Samuel Hill