[arin-discuss] Spammer/Abuser screening policy

Darren E. Canady dcanady at heraklesdata.com
Tue Apr 25 18:00:28 EDT 2006

Adopting a "screening policy" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

In contrast, please recognize that your Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) will
be insufficient if you ever get "blacklisted" by the VERY OPENLY HOSTILE
anti-spam community. (It is also WISE to have your terms clearly
documented in your AUP for legal protections in case it's ever
necessary).

PLEASE READ BELOW:

My Experience: Our AUP was much like the one forwarded below, which also
made it clear that Spamming activities which in any way traversed our
network was a violation of that AUP, and subjected the customer to
possible termination.

Unknown to us when we brought in a company named BlueStream Media, (a
company that complies fully with the CAN-SPAM Act), that the VERY OPENLY
HOSTILE anti-spam community sees you as a co-conspirator in their
"spamming" activities just for hosting them at your site. This company
is tracked in such a manner that once we SWiP'd the IP Addresses we
reassigned to them to ARIN, the anti-spam community looked us up, found
out the range we have from ARIN and "blacklisted" our (then) ENTIRE
/19!!!!!! As a result, any mail system that used SPEWS, Spamhaus, etc.,
for spam filtering service, then rejected all mail from our /19. We had
no knowledge of this until contacted by other customers reporting the
inability to send mail to certain destinations.

Those "anti-spam wackos" had no concern for the fact that, as they saw,
none of the activities BlueStream conducted that they classified as SPAM
traversed our network. Thus though they acknowledged that BlueStream was
using their own set of IPs over a totally separate dedicated connection
was irrelevant. Our crime was hosting them in our facility. And no
matter how kind, gentle, apologetic, or how much you argue, beg or
threaten, they are relentless in their viciousness in responding to you.
Fortunately, there were a couple out there who, though not really
"kind", will give you some words of advice if you have the patience to
sift through the rest of the rants.

To see the cries of many of their victims, one only need to visit
http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting?lnk=gsc
hg&hl=en.

Many of the victims out there can do NOTHING about it, because many of
them are people hosted by an entity, which hosts an entity the anti-spam
community views as a spammer. Thus, if client ABC was hosted by company
DEF who also hosted client GHI, and the anti-spam community identifies
GHI as a "spammer", client ABC is helpless in getting their issue
resolved until DEF gets rid of GHI.

And with the SPEWS list being what it is, (www.spews.org), there is no
person to respond if you go to their website looking for answers or
contact information. It's strictly an FAQ with no names, faces or other
means of direct contact, other than the Google news group provided
above, where the ELECTRONIC HELL begins as they seemingly get their
kicks out of trying to criminalize you.

I like everybody else can do without the SPAM, and to a degree, I can
understand the attitudes and behaviors of the anti-spam community. But
those folks go off the deep end. They're like, suicide bombers that live
to do it again, and get joy out of it each time.

In the end, we had to cancel the contract with BlueStream Media, for the
greater good of our customer-base. They were very understanding of the
bigger picture for us, and I actually felt for them. However, I never
got around to following up to see how they were doing in their
"legitimate" business initiatives.

SO BE FOREWARNED!  Run your potential customer's names against the SPAM
Block Lists or ROKSO (Register of Known Spam Operations) found at
http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/index.lasso. It was a very educational
experience, but one I don't recommend you go through in an Operational
Environment.

Need a little entertainment? See my battle at:
http://groups.google.com/group/news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting/browse_
thread/thread/52b1fff795a80281/8e1f7078f42ddc18?q=BlueStream&rnum=2#8e1f
7078f42ddc18