[arin-discuss] FW: unsubscribe

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Apr 11 11:16:16 EDT 2006

> I think thats why the person was dumbfounded that the folks on the
> list are ISP's.  One would hope that some of these folks had a clue...
> The internet is doomed if its controlled by the people on this list.

i don't know if that's strictly true.  folks are saying "unsubscribe"
because they see others doing so, in two ways.  first, they don't WANT
to be on a mailing list where the main topic is "how to unsubscribe."
second, they assume that if others are unsubscribing this way, that
they also ought to be able to do so.  apparently LISTSERV would notice
"unsubscribe" alone on a line in a body and do something with it, so
there's some precedent.  i'll bet arin's "mailman" could be configured
to act on these, since mailman has every other feature known to mankind.

in any case, "internet is doomed, film at 11" is a very old story.  i
myself sang that song when abuse desks started rejecting MIME-attached
spam samples on the basis that "they might contain viruses."  but here
we are a half dozen years later.  apparently the internet is every bit
as survivable as its urban legends indicate, though for economic causes
rather than good design.

meanwhile this whole "unsubscribe" thread is very entertaining, sort of
like watching people get their cars stuck in the mud on my driveway, and
this time i don't even have to chain 'em up and pull 'em out.