[arin-discuss] YOU CANNOT UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS LIST BY E-MAILING THE LIST!!!!!

Chris Owen owenc at hubris.net
Mon Apr 10 21:02:06 EDT 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Bruce Goldstein wrote:

> I clicked the link and it didn't work.  I have yet to receive my
> password
> after pressing the "remind" button over 2 hours ago.

The mailing list machine is probably collapsing under its own weight
as it tries to send out 1.4 million "unsubscribe" emails sent by
people on the list who couldn't follow directions.

Following the directions may or may not work but what is guaranteed
not to work is sending an email (or any kind) to this mailing list.
Doing so only compounds the problem by sending mail out to thousands
of innocent bystanders none of which can do anything at all to get
you off the list.

I'd have thought Mailman was probably reasonably familiar to people
on an ARIN mailing list (however they got there) since it runs a lot
of lists including NANOG and Sourceforge.  However, if you aren't
familiar with it do a little research and find out what you need to
do.  45 seconds with Google:

would tell you that in addition to the listed link on every email
which is:

you _should_ be able to unsubscribe by sending an email to arin-
discuss-leave at arin.net.  Start a new blank email.  Do NOT reply to
this email for fear you will post back to the list.

If neither of these options work then something is wrong at ARIN (and
obviously something _is_ wrong because they have a list with all
these people subscribed without their consent).  In that case you can
also email ARIN-discuss at arin.net which _should_ go to a human.  The
above administrative link also lists postmaster at arin.net as another
contact.

However, if none of these options work there is absolutely no point
in sending an email to arin-discuss at arin.net complaining about the
problem.  Doing so doesn't help you get off the list and only
compounds the problem.  Today's shit storm was 100% about all these
damned unsubscribe emails.  Absent that there really wouldn't be a
problem.

As Steven Wright says, don't be part of the precipitate.

Chris

- --
Chris Owen
President
Hubris Communications
www.hubris.net

"The best way to show that a stick is crooked is not to argue about it
or spend time denouncing it, but to lay a straight stick alongside it."
   -- D.L. Moody