Correcting the mistake

Dave Stewart dbs at hom.net
Thu Sep 14 13:49:28 EDT 2000

At 11:16 AM 9/14/00 -0500, Jan Bacher wrote:

>>> they may
>>>
>>>With our without effective solutions to implement?
>>
>>I don't think it's ARIN's mission to be sure that effective solutions are
>>implemented.
>
>That's not what I said.

Then I misunderstood - my apologies.

No matter what time frame is placed on it, there will come a time when the
policy does take effect (that's taking the position that we can get them to
retract it now).  Will effective solutions be in place by then?  I don't
know.  I'm not sure any of us could say when those solutions would be in
place.  We could suggest a one year wait - or two years.  We still don't
know what effective measures, if any, would be developed by then.

My point  really was that just creating a policy and making it effective
immediately is bad for everyone.  There needs to be time to look at all
sides, most importantly the technical aspects of the change, whatever it
may be.  In some cases,  technical solutions might be readily
available.  In others, perhaps the solutions would have to be developed.

But I do think ARIN should announce the policy change - and give us all
time to handle whatever changes would be necessary.

In the case at hand now, perhaps 120 days is not enough.  Maybe 180 is a
more realistic goal.