guideline for name-based web hosting justification

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Tue Sep 12 10:57:24 EDT 2000

Mike Horwath wrote:

> Same here.
>
> Where we could get away with header parsing, we have.
>
> Where we can not, we must use an IP, and if we need to, we will put up
> a bunch of other shit as well since 99.9% of the customers we do web
> hosting for also get all of their email from us, we can just run
> virtual servers for them for their mail on their 'dedicated IP'.  No
> biggie, the mail cluster is going in behind loadbalancers with the web
> boxes, this will be easy.

And I think that's a great setup.

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing how large a website you can
put on a name-based virtual host before you have to move it elsewhere?

Also, for e-mail, have you tried giving users longer POP usernames? (like
user at domain.com?)  I know it isn't a perfect solution, but I've seen lots of
places doing that and it seems to work perfectly well.  I do seem to recall
some older versions of Eudora over-load the @ operator as a delimiter, but I
think they've fixed that...

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"