Address block problem

Redisch, Jason JRedisch at virtela.com
Tue Aug 1 11:31:57 EDT 2000

Dani,
	Many ISP's have IP Space from legacy Class A space.  A check of the
whois database would show that anyone still filtering on /8 on that space is
missing a large portion of the Internet.  A simple call to their POC should
fix any connectivity issues.

	However, several ISP's choose to filter all address space based on
the ARIN min allocation size for that block.  They feel that they can reach
the entire Internet that way while keeping routing tables on their networks
to a minimum size.  This decision to filter or not is made by each ISP
individually.  In doing so, these ISP's sometimes sacrifice more optimal
paths, but in can still reach the entire Internet.  Announcing /24's for
multihomed customers should work for the portion of the Internet that wants
to listen to them, and the larger aggregate blocks of the upstream can be
used to direct traffic for those ISP's that do filter at the higher bit
boundaries.

Jason Redisch                           (V) 720.493.5533 ext 4120
Virtela Communications                  (F) 720.493.5006
Sr. IP Engineer