[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Approaches for Adjusting the ARIN Registration Services Plan Fee Schedule

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 4 17:25:46 EDT 2024

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 10:53 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> > On Apr 3, 2024, at 1:20 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > That's great if inflation stays far enough below 5% to allow for the
> > cost of new services, but what happens when it doesn't? Break the
> > implicit promise of stability in the fees?
>
> So it is not the “cost of new services” that is the concern, it’s rather the routine
> increase in ARIN’s own operations costs that we have to deal with…

Hi John,

I believe that's called "inflation." Things cost more this year than
they did last year. Inflation isn't static. Some years it's more, some
years it's less. It was well above 5% in 2021 and 2022, but well below
for every other year ARIN has existed.

If the objective is for ARIN prices to track with inflation (i.e. for
them to stay the same in "constant dollars"), shouldn't you do just
that rather than pick a number out of a hat?

> > And what happens when you want to restructure the fees? Is the 5%
> > promise simply void since the new fees are discontinuous from the old?
> > Like what happened to the LRSA folks?
>
> Having finally achieved a fee schedule that treats all parties equitably, I would
> like to think we’re past the point of further restructuring of the fee schedule…

Heh. Good one.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--