[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Approaches for Adjusting the ARIN Registration Services Plan Fee Schedule

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 3 13:20:18 EDT 2024

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 9:40 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Introduce a structured approach to fee adjustments, allowing
> for an annual increase of no more than 5%, subject to approval
> by the Board of Trustees. This strategy aims to offer a predictable
> and manageable escalation in fees, aligning more closely with the
> budget planning processes of many organizations within our community.

That's great if inflation stays far enough below 5% to allow for the
cost of new services, but what happens when it doesn't? Break the
implicit promise of stability in the fees?

And what happens when you want to restructure the fees? Is the 5%
promise simply void since the new fees are discontinuous from the old?
Like what happened to the LRSA folks?

And philosophically, should ARIN be experiencing a 5% growth that
isn't tied to a comparable growth in its customer base? Isn't that
called bloat?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--