[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Implementing Single Transferrable Voting for ARIN Elections

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 7 13:33:38 EST 2022

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 9:51 AM Peter Harrison <peter at colovore.com> wrote:
> It is possible to create many scenarios that test the limits of STV and FPTP systems. I encourage you to consider their likelihood in our situation and discount them accordingly. Please remember the overall goal of creating greater equity using a globally deployed system designed by psephology thought leaders.

Hi Peter,

As an engineer, I earn a living making systems resistant to Murphy's
Law. When I see a voting system like STV which allows for the election
of the candidate most opposed by a clear majority of voters, alarm
bells ring. It's an obviously incorrect outcome that shouldn't be
possible.

That STV -also- allows for the defeat of the 1st choice candidate most
desired by a plurality of voters is an additional concern. Without a
majority I can see an argument that support for the candidate was
broad but shallow. Still, when considered in context with the
obviously incorrect result above, I worry the math hides more error.

So, I'm tentatively against STV voting.

But then I'm an engineer, not a psephology thought leader.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin