[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:26:14 EDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:08 PM Dale W. Carder <dwcarder at es.net> wrote:

> >     * Increasing the transfer processing fee to $500
>
> I would think that the fee here should be the full cost recovery to process the
> transaction.  Is that the case here?

I cannot imagine that a fixed price is full cost recovery
for all recoveries and transactions.

Organizations which have a long history with ARIN
under an RSA would presumably not take as much
staff resources to vet as a case where one needs to
establish the proper association of an org claiming
to be the rightful successor for a legacy block which
has not seen registry updates for decades (and
may have changed business names, locations, phone
numbers, and organizational members half a dozen
times over that time period).

I would certainly prefer to see there to be a
minimum, and probably a maximum, but otherwise
have a sliding scale that would more accurately
reflect the staff resources needed to determine
appropriate entries and charge those that
require more work a higher fee.  Perhaps a
fee based on a few steps (trivial, simple, hard, really
really really hard), but that only makes sense if
the transfers that ARIN have made could be easily
categorized into a small set of groups and there
is a substantial distinction in the effort involved by
staff for those groups.

In any case, as long as $500 moves in the
right direction of actual costs, it seems the
correct (first?) step.