[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Apr 10 03:23:07 EDT 2021

On 4/9/21 3:38 PM, ARIN wrote:
> Transitioning Legacy resource holders from annual per-resource
> maintenance fees to the RSP Fee Schedule while maintaining the annual
> cap of total maintenance fees (which will increase $25 per year)
Hypothetically, if all legacy resource holders were on the standard fee
schedule now, how much more revenue would be raised?

If that would raise another x%, then (for a fixed revenue need, to meet
ARIN costs) non-legacy holders are paying x% more to subsidize legacy
resource holders. It's actually more than that, since here "legacy
resource holders" means those that have signed an LRSA and pay, and
excludes those that have not and do not.

On the other hand, perhaps these days a lot of legacy resource holders
also have IPv6 under an RSA and are already paying based on the fee
schedule.

If the difference is a trivial number, then there's no need to stand on
principle. If it's material, then 300 years is technically better than
infinity, but I'd like to see ARIN harmonize the fee schedules much
faster. Perhaps ~10 years, implemented like this (per entity):

$last_year + ($standard - $last_year) / $years_left

# no change for 2022
  125 + (8000 - 125)  / 9 = 1000
1000 + (8000 - 1000) / 8 = 1875
1875 + (8000 - 1875) / 7 = 2750
7125 + (8000 - 7125) / 1 = 8000

That algorithm will harmonize over a fixed time period, regardless of
the current or future tier that a given legacy resource holder falls
into or the fee schedule changes that occur along the way.

However, if $25/year is a contractual maximum increase in some older
LRSAs, then it can't be sped up for those legacy resource holders. From
Owen's response, it seems like it was.

On 4/10/21 1:11 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
 > an ISP that goes more than a month or two without any required updates
 > would be quite a surprise.

In my (direct and indirect) experience, small ISPs do not interact with
ARIN on anywhere near a monthly basis.

--
Richard