[ARIN-consult] ACSP Consultation: Deleting Aged Report Request Tickets

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 1 09:43:07 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:

> Since the launch of ARIN Online, we have been in the practice of
> retaining all customer tickets, and this includes ticketed requests for
> reports of the following types:
>
>      * Associations reports
>      * WhoWas reports
>      * Reassignment reports
>      * User Reassignment reports
>
> After eleven years, we have well over a million such report tickets that
> we believe should be deleted from our systems in order to improve system
> performance, and to improve the customer experience by clearing
> unnecessary clutter from report tickets in the ticket history. It is our
> intention to move forward with deleting the report tickets of the above
> types (and associated reports) that are over 90-days old, and to change
> our ticket retention policy so that these types of tickets requesting
> reporting will expire and be deleted after 90 days going forward.

Hi Folks,

A million seems like nothing for a modern data system to handle. I'd rather
see ARIN invest in technology improvements that eliminate the performance
problem. It is, for example, usually trivial to extract large attachments
from a database and store them on a filesystem with a link from the ticket.
Storage on the filesystem tends to have little performance penalty for the
application as a whole.

Even if you don't, 90 days is way too short.

I'm not a consumer of these particular reports but in general I find it
convenient to be able to search every interaction I've had. I like gmail's
approach of deleting only the things which are actually and explicitly
trash.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--