[ARIN-consult] Summary Report on IRR Presentation at NANOG 72

Mark Kosters markk at arin.net
Thu Mar 15 09:56:09 EDT 2018

Hi

John Curran presented a summary of ARIN's IRR plans to the NANOG community on Feb 20, 2018. The talk is located at:
https://tinyurl.com/yaxpcz4z. For those who don't want to use tinyurl, here is the full URL that may wrap:
https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG72/1618/20180220_Curran_Arin_S_Internet_Routing_v1.pdf .
The video of the talk is at: https://youtu.be/tsWq_LgNS5s .

At the end of the talk, John opened the floor for comments. A summary of the discussion was:

* Concern about ARIN's legacy data and now to transition/remove legacy objects in ARIN's existing IRR. A number of suggestions on the floor were discussed regarding this topic. These ranged from creating different source tag for legacy data and removing the data at some later date to having ARIN create an import tool to transition objects.

* RPKI was mentioned as a superior system for routing security but many felt that an improvement to the IRR would be a good intermediate step.

* Allowing for better tools that leveraged the existing routing system to help users create correct objects in both RPKI and IRR.

* Allowing management of the new IRR through an API as opposed to using templates.

We welcome the community to read the slides, listen to John's talk, and to help ARIN more fully flesh out this new service. If you have any comments or additional elements you like to discuss/propose - please provide that input promptly while this consultation remains open.   We will use the information received from the consultation to refine our plans for the new IRR.

Regards,
Mark Kosters