[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Prohibiting Attachments on ARIN Mailing Lists

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 24 10:56:06 EDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 08:21:36AM -0400, ARIN wrote:
>> * Question:  Should attachments be prohibited on ARIN public
>> mailing lists?
>
> I do not have a particular opinion on that, but *if* you disallow attachments,
> please make it smart enough to not break PGP-signed mails in MIME format
> (which come with an "attachment" for the signature) in the process.

Hi Gert,

"Not break" as in maintain the signature or "not break" as in don't
strip the signature and then keep the multipart/signed content-type
breaking the validator?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing all emails squashed to a single
MIME text/plain part. It might even improve the quoting mess where a
lot of mail software can't figure out how to mark the components of
the mail or sometimes indents an entire paragraph unwrapped instead of
indenting the lines.

On the rare occasions where we want to communicate something more
complicated than plain text allows, it's not that hard to find a place
to host it or to offer to mail copies directly to those few lost souls
whose internal IT is cruel enough to block the web.

I'm very much not a fan of allowing content types that must be
virus-scanned because they allow programs and other dangerous features
to be embedded within them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us