[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Proposed 2018 Fee Schedule Changes

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 9 17:31:24 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2018, at 1:53 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> 1. Would you give us a historical perspective on the budget? What has
> ARIN spent each year since its inception in 1997? It would be helpful
> to see it in both actual and 2018 dollars.
>
>    The entire set of annual reports are all available online here:
>    <https://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/annual_rprt.html>

Thanks John,

I'll spare everyone else the effort of digging it out:

Year: ARIN expenses, ARIN expenses approximated in 2018 dollars

1999: $2,239,707, $3,390,000
2000: $2,806,837, $4,116,000
2001: $3,754,738, $5,318,000
2002: $6,120,209, $8,570,000
2003: $6,357,298, $8,645,000
2004: $6,883,258, $9,204,000
2005: $7,590,880, $9,854,000
2006: $8,653,757, $10,844,000
2007: $9,825,489, $12,021,000
2008: $11,256,656, $13,277,000
2009: $12,141,253, $14,317,000
2010: $13,175,097, $15,139,000
2011: $14,366,655, $16,242,000
2012: $15,551,514, $17,082,000
2013: $15,520,000, $16,781,000
2014: $16,329,920, $17,381,000
2015: $18,039,970, $19,218,000
2016: $21,937,057, $23,055,000
2017: $23,700,000 (projected)
2018: $23,866,000 (projected)

I used https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl to estimate 2018
dollars. Other estimating tools give slightly different, typically
smaller numbers.

>    Communications is probably better read as “Telecommunications”
>    (i.e. composed of our main computing collocation sites and circuits
>    interconnecting same, and our additional public-facing-sites colocated
>    in Bay Area and Carribbean.)

Probably better written as Telecommunications then. Folks reading
financial reports understand communications to mean something
different.

> 5. What are you depreciating at more than 15% of the budget?
>
>    As reported in ARIN’s audited financials, ARIN depreciates major system
> software
>    development costs over 5 years with straight-line depreciation.
> (Post-implementation
>    and operational costs are expensed as incurred.)

I understand this to mean that over the past 5 years ARIN has incurred
approximately $19,000,000 of software development expenses IN ADDITION
TO paying staff software engineer salaries, benefits and similar
employee costs. Is that accurate?

> 6. What alternatives to increasing end-user registration fees did the
> board evaluate? Why does it recommend increasing end-user fees instead
> of those alternatives?
>
>    As I noted in previous email, the Board considered the alternative of not
> raising the fees
>    and facing a slow erosion of the reserves over time; given the reduction
> in engineering
>    surge staffing planned in 2019, the annual net-to-reserves impact is
> modest enough that
>    a change is maintenance fees is not absolutely required, but simply
> prudent if we wish to
>    maintain level reserves.

Just so I'm clear, no other form of fee change was tabled or considered?

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>